Monday, November 11, 2013

ECUADOR ES UNA TIERRA BENDECIDA (iS A BLESSED LAND)

Hey Fam Bam, 

So you were right Mom, Hna Yagual did indeed leave for Mexico. It was kinda sad when she left and I definitely miss her, cause she was so cute....however, I was joined here in Boyaca with two more gringas!!! Hna Jolley and Hna Bennett!! We are a trio, a trio of gringas. aka a tringa. It basically is the most awesome thing ever. Hna Jolley is from Alpine and has 13 months in the mission and Hna Bennett is new; this is her first transfer and she's from Las Vegas. We are having so much fun together, it's kinda becoming a problem cause we can't fall asleep cause we keep talking. haha but it's great. I have been learning a lot from both of them and not gonna lie, speaking in English and being able to be my sarcastic self and actually having people understand me has been great. I mean I was always aware of the challenges of culture differences with my Latina comps but now that I'm with gringas it's just like wow, there are soooo many things that are different. I'm kinda rambling now but basically I love my trio sisters and am stoked to be here with them. Although we are all pretty sure I will be living Boyaca when the transfer ends next week. So we shall see what happens!!



Ok so Christina is doing awesome. She was really sad that Hna Yagual left and always mentions that in her prayers and it's kinda really awkward but we are doing our best to make up for it and brought her cupcakes for her Bday on Saturday and stuff. We are just trying to make things as least awks as possible. But she's progressing well and I think her baptism is gonna happen on saturday!! I really hope so since it's most likely that I will be out of here by the 23rd and would really love to be here for her baptism. But she has everything she needs to be baptized on Saturday so I think I should be here still :) So excited. 

Well other than Chirstina, we don't really have much in ways of investigators. We spent all week visiting members and menos activos to try and get some solid references and to try and stay obedient to not using contacting to find nuevos but it has been kinda hard. We've been getting a lot of references but it's hard to find the houses and then when we do find the houses, the people like aren't there half the time or live in another sector, etc. So not much progress this week as far as finding new people goes, but I have faith that this week is gonna go a lot better and we are going to find those people who have been prepared by the Lord to accept this gospel. :) And besides that, we got the tringa power. haha For real though, I was already used to the occasional shouts in botched English from random men sometimes just because I'm white, but now that there are THREE of us, and Hna Bennett is tall and blonde, we literally cannot walk one block without being hit on. It's pretty hilarious but also pretty annoying.

So I learned something the other day. Apparently the missions are like sectored into zones, and the zone of South America, that my mission is in, is the highest baptizing zone of missions in the world. And apparently my mission, Ecuador Guayaquil South, is the most highest baptizing mission of this zone. So I guess you can say I am part of the mission that baptized the most in the world? Talk about cool. Talk about crazy pressure. Now it makes more sense why the leaders are so hardcore. Apparently I got a lot to live up to here. But I also feel very blessed and humbled to be serving the Lord in a part of the world where the people are also so humble and readily prepared to accept the gospel of Christ into their lives. As they say, Ecuador es una tierra bendecida (Ecuador is a blessed Land). I truly believe that. It's so weird how I can feel so un-at-home here yet so AT home at the same time. I think it's because yes, it is a foreign world filled with different cultures, language, standard of living, etc. But it's also where I am supposed to be at this time of my life. I have no doubt about that in my mind. :)

Welp, I'm gonna go live up my first and most likely only pday in a trio of gringas. Stoked. So glad things are going well at home. Love all of your letters; they make my week so much better and give me the strength that I need to seguir adelante (press forward). Sorry bout the Spanglish. Love you team Harper!!! y demas (and others) !! :)

Love from Machala,

Hermana Harper

ps- ya the eczema no es tan bueno mom, but I'm working on it. I got an IV full of allergy meds the other day in the clinic and it seems like it's helping. I've come to the conclusion that it is the crappy water that's doing it. Cause like you said, the climate is better so it's weird. But don't worry my comps are taking good care of me and I'll ask for a blessing :)  I love you Mom!! Your letters always lift my spirits so much. Oh, I almost forgot! All 3 of my Christmas packages arrived! at the same time too. haha So all good there. Just got to wait till December to start the festivities and then till Christmas to unwrap the presents! You're so awesome Mom. My family is so awesome. It's just crazy how blessed us Harpers are. Ok I'm gonna send some pics. Love you mommy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment