Waddup all,
So I think you will be happy to know that I have not died of Rabies!! Thanks for making sure I got those Mom; I'm glad you called. The only reason I was so insistent on you not calling is because the nurse and my companion were so insistent on me not telling you guys because if you called, the office would apparently be super mad...but I think that was with the former President. From what I have heard about him, he was pretty strict and uptight, but I can't imagine President Torres having a problem with it. From what you said Mom, it sounds like he didn't. And you are right, he is a very warm and caring man and I am soooooo glad I came to this mission right around the same time he did.....because I don't think I would have been able to handle not having a loving mission president.
So ya, all is well. On Tuesday I got my first out of five Rabies shots. Not sure if it was as effective starting the series two days after the shots but whatevs. And since the place was closed over the weekend, I didn't get my last one until this morning. So as of today, I am officially done with the Rabies madness. And luckily I didn't get them in the wound, but in the stomach. Which is not fun either, but after hearing they are sometimes given in the wound, I'm feeling thankful for the gut shots. haha. Getting shots here is so weird. I have to go across the street and buy my own syringe beforehand. Isn't that weird? I'm sure the meth addicts back in the states would love the convenience of being able to purchase a syringe for 30 cents at every street corner. haha. But ya, I haven't gotten sick or anything and it has been over a week now since I was bit, so I'm pretty sure I'm Rabies free. The wound still hurts a little but it's starting to scab a little. I probs won't know how gnarly the scar is gonna be for a couple weeks. But I keep it wrapped up when hitting the streets so I think the dirt has managed to stay out. I think that's all I have to say about that. :)
The full names of my converts Mom are....Carla Vicente, Bolivar Aguirre, and Elias Vera. And now....Alejandro Cruz!! The 86 year old little carpenter was baptized on Saturday!! Did I tell you guys that he still works? I don't remember but ya, he has a little carpentry shop where he lives and works. It's really small and dingy with dirty floors but it's cool cause every time we go teach him, we can see the progress that he's made on a dresser or bed frame or whatever the project happens to be. He's bien chevere as they say here. haha. Chevere is basically just cool. Which reminds me, Hno Mostacero wrote me about Bay and told me that my hermano was "bien cool" hahaha. And then after he said "son iguales." This basically means that the two of us are the same. I enjoyed that. But anyways, Alejandro's baptism was really nice! I will attach photos. But it was cool to see this 86 year old man, who has done who knows what in his lifetime, be completely free of sin. How awesome is that? His confirmation on Sunday went well also and todo es bien con el. :)
![]() |
| Alejandro's Baptism |
Oh Michelle told me she sent you pics mom! Michelle is Valeria Garcia. Her name is Valeria Michelle and she goes by Michelle but apparently it's Valeria on fbook. Whatevs, I don't understand how they do names here. haha. But she loved that you wrote her back in your Spanglish. Why didn't you have Rye help you write in Spanish? haha. Also, congrats on the new calling!!! You're gonna do so awesome Mom, I know it. :) Also congrats to our new Bishop Baker!! That sounds way too weird. haha.
Well other than the baptism, this week wasn't too exciting as we had to spend a couple afternoons in the house cause of my leg and then one other one too because my comp had killer migraines. So three afternoons not working equals not much to say. As of now, Mom, I'm not completely sure about transfers. It looks like both Hna Lujan and I will be staying in Boyaca. I think I'm glad about that. I'm scared of having a transfer since Boyaca is all I know and I'm scared of getting a mean comp too. So I'm glad that it seems like I'm gonna be having another transfer here. :)
I love hearing what's going on at home with all of you. And Mom, I loveee the detailed everyday things. Honestly, just hearing about the small things that you guys do, like movies and Strands and what not is awesome. So keep up the detailed letters! and just on writing.
I'm gonna start trying to include more spiritual thoughts in my letters. It's just hard since I basically only study in Spanish so instead of being spiritually edified during study time and stuff, I'm just struggling to understand what I'm reading. But I do understand more and more everyday and my dictionary is my best friend. haha. This week i did read the introductions and testimonies at the beginning of both the Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants, (in English) something that I had never really taken the time to do thoroughly before. Idk, I just loved it, and the testimonies really helped to strengthen my testimony. I felt with assurity, the whole time, how true this church is and how incredibly lucky we all are to be a part of this wonderful restoration in Christ's church, the same church that he established when He was on the earth. We are soo so incredibly lucky and I personally feel tremendously blessed for this opportunity I am able to have in this season of my life to share this wonderful restoration of the true Church of Christ with children of our Heavenly Father here in Machala. I always think how sad it is that these people haven't been as fortunate as me to have this knowledge and happiness in their lives and my desire to learn and teach increases. Whenever I feel discouraged or what not, I always just remind myself of how blessed I am and how important it is for all of God's children to hear of the restoration of Christ's church. And then instead of feeling discouraged, I just feel incredibly blessed, which I know I am. I truly have been blessed, not only with this gospel but also with an amazing loving family and awesome supportive friends. I am so thankful for all of my loved ones, for each and every single one of you reading this. You make my life better. Ok I gotta go, so until next week.....keep on keepin on everyone!
With Enormous love from Ecuador, (sorry thats the best I can do as far as alliteration goes right now)
Hna Abbie Harper
Forgort to tell you, I got everyone's letters finally!!! woohooo! Thanks so much everyone, you are all the greatest! Also the pictures and drawings were fantastic family! love you all!


No comments:
Post a Comment