Monday, September 9, 2013

SPEAKING OF SPANISH, IT'S DEFINITELY STILL RIDING THE STRUGGLE BUS




Hey Fam,

Oh my goodness gracious, so much has happened at home I think my head is gonna explode I'm so overwhelmed! Seriously, I feel like nothing has happened to me this week after reading all yalls letters. First off, I may or may not have burst into tears on the way to the grocery store in a taxi while reading Grandma's letter....I was so confused cause I still hadn't read yours Mom. I mean I was still crying when reading yours because what in the heck?! How in the world can Papa have a brain tumor! I was just in shock cause it came out of nowhere; he is so healthy!!  I'm glad the surgery went well though, and it was probably a good call not telling me until after the surgery Mom. I would have been worried sick. Well I still am worried sick but it's comforting knowing that they got it all out and now it's just a matter of making sure one doesn't pop up again. Ahhh, I really wish I could be there with all of you during times like this, but I know I just have to trust in the Lord that everything is gonna be alright. It also helps that Papa is still his joking self. And way cool Mom that you got to have those sentimental spiritual moments with him. Papa is rarely, if ever, sentimental! Wish I could've seen that. You'll have to get another brain tumor when I get home Pops so I can see your sentimental side ;) haha chiste chiste. Pleaseeee don't get another brain tumor...cause if youre not still there when I come home Papa, you're gonna be in big trouble!  But I'm glad all is well for now. :) 

I can't believe Jacob and Kenz got their calls!!! ahh! seriously so crazy. I freaked out in the cyber reading about them. haha Congrats you two! Although I'll probs write you both separately, but here's a shout out in the main letter too. :) Speaking of shout outs, shout out to Sister Mittleman!! I got your card the other day, and i loved it! Very sweet of you! Thanks so much! :)  So I'm jealous of the food at Ricey's farewell!!! Although I should've  known it would be awesome. You're gonna do great Rice, I'm so proud of you!!! :) I can't believe school and seminary is already starting up.....crazy crazy crazy. Can't wait for the Shelley vs Tom seminary teacher rival stories. Those will be fun.

Ok, so here's what's up in Machala. Currently: not much.  We have some progressing investigators but none who have baptismal dates so not much to say other than I hope they continue to progress so we can have some baptisms on the 21st and 28th!  But there is this one couple that we are teaching and his wife had an accident in her brain...not sure exactly what, but she's a little off now as far as social cues and stuff. But she can still talk and converse and understand things for the most part.  Anyways she's adorable, in her 60s and she's like obsessed with me. Whenever I talk.....IDK, she's just like..... I like her! The way she talks! The way she smiles! She's like a doll! So basically she's amused by my gringo accent and gringo appearance. haha But it's all good. She always gives me really long hugs and sloppy kisses on the cheek. haha But I love her so much. I feel like she can understand my Spanish better than the people who don't have brain problems....ironic right. 

Speaking of my Spanish, it's definitely still riding the struggle bus. (And my little cuss of a brother Riley refuses to help me via email! ;) haha, idk.  I guess I'm progressing but I still feel like a toddler struggling to find words and form sentences and there's defs people in my zone who came the same time as me whose Spanish seems way further ahead than mine. But I'm trying not to compare myself to others and to just trust in the Lord. 

I came across a quote in the CCM that I just love so much and it's by David A Bednar. It reads, “To not take counsel from our fears means that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ overrules our fears and that we can press forward with a steadfastness in Him. To not take counsel from our fears means that we trust in God’s guidance, assurance, and timing in our lives.”

This quote always gives me comfort. I know that for whatever reason I am supposed to be here in Ecuador and at this specific time. I know that Heavenly Father wanted me here and I know that this season of my life is the season to serve Him and to serve my fellow brothers and sisters. It's hard to not have fear sometimes especially when it comes to speaking Spanish, but with this knowledge that I have, this faith that I have, that my Heavenly Father needs me here at this time in my life, it's impossible for that fear to take root for too long. So when the adversary puts those thoughts that I can't do this or that I can't learn Spanish into  my mind, I just think of those things and my faith in my Savior chases those fears away. 

I miss all of you every single day and it can be hard, but I know that I will see all of you in a short 15 months!! The time will pass quickly, I know it. You all are in my prayers every single day. Keep on keeping on everyone. Love you all!!

Love From Ecuador,

Hna Abbs Harps

ps- Thanks for the alliteration tips mom. The truth is that every week I say I'm gonna look for some words to use but I always forget until the next time I'm finishing up a letter and got nothing and remember that I forgot to look for a word! haha Give me some M ones for Machala!



 It was raining walking home from church last week so we took pictures :)  
                                                                                                          Me and Hermana Busath




the pday before last we took pictures at this giant boat thing in this random park in our sector dont know what its for but its cool! something historical


   

My zone after the last cambio ended! Boyaca, Machala


No comments:

Post a Comment