New Year's Eve!! So this is what New Years is like in Ecuador: They all build these life- sized doll things that supposedly represent themselves, and then burn them at midnight, symbolizing burning away the old year. Out with the old and in with the new! It's kinda weird, but kinda cool. Everyone like sells them in the street too. It's like some creepy Halloween with just piles of dolls laying on the side of the road. They call the dolls año viejos. In fact, the ward burned one Monday night as an activity and we attended. It was pretty cool. They made me jump over it. haha. Also teenage boys dress up like women and dance in the street in front of traffic and collect money from every car window. It's pretty weird. It's supposed to represent a widow or something? no se. Anyways, we had to be in the house by 6 so we just relaxed. I organzied some things, played some harmonicas, and ate cake with the other Hermanas. And then New Year's day was just like dead. Nobody was out and about. We also had to be in the house at 6 again so it was a pretty sleepy day for all.![]() |
| Ward New Year's Party |
We had 6 people in church this week!! Alexander came too!!! His family is still acting weird, and I don't wanna get my hopes up, but it looks like Alexander may still progress! We will have to see how it goes.
The French speaking lady from Haiti came again with another Haitian woman. They don't understand anything but they are so cute! The bishop said he thinks there is someone in the stake who speaks French and he said he was gonna contact him for us. So hopefully this guy can help us teach these ladies! Another guy is a middle aged man whom the hermanas from another ward found, but because of some stuff I think we are gonna give him to the Elders to teach. But he's pretty cool and loves discussing the gospel.
The last 2 were our two new investigators!!! They are a married couple named Eddy and Mayra. We met them in the street because Eddy started talking to us in English. Turns out he lived in Connecticut for 10ish years. His English isn't the greatest, but they are awesome!!! They invited us in after 10 seconds of meeting us and we taught them the restoration. They are soooo accepting. Turns out Eddy was baptized while in jail in the states while awaiting deportation. lolz. I know what you're thinking Dad. haha.
Eddy already thinks the Catholic church is corrupt and he already has great faith and trust in the Lord and has good habits of praying and reading the scriptures. BUT he also had bad habits of drinking and smoking marijuana. Their history is pretty crazy so I'm probs rambling, but despite all of the challenges they have, they are just so awesome and have such a desire to learn! Eddy has already read all the introduction and testimonies in the front of the Book of Mormon and has gone on reading into 1 Nephi. He said that he already believes it's the word of God. So incredible! Now he just needs to quit the weed. But I had a really spiritual experience teaching them about the Word of Wisdom and was able to testify and promise through the spirit to Eddy that whenever he feels the temptation to smoke or drink, if he instead kneels to pray and asks Heavenly Father for help and strength, and then gets up and reads the Book of Mormon after his prayer, that God will take away his addiciton and he will be given the strength that he needs as long as he puts in this part. It was really awesome and the spirit was so incredibly strong. So pray for him that he will be able to overcome it!
Well I think that's all I got for now. Still here in Monay with Hna Clark. On Wednesday an authority from the 70 is coming to talk to us, so that should be cool. It has been raining a lot here and it's getting a lot colder!! But I'm still loving Cuenca. I hope I'm here to stay for a while longer. I had the opportunity to leave the sector today and picked you all up some nice souvenirs fam bam! Pretty sure I already spent all the money you wired over Mom. haha. I like never have the opportunity to buy things so I took advantage :)
Well, I love you all so much, and am so grateful for each and every single one of you in my life! Sharing the gospel brings such joy and I challenge all of you to participate in this joy and share the Gospel as well!! There are so many people who are lost and ignorant of this happiness and YOU have the knowledge to help them! Cool right? So go do it! Love you guys!
Craziness in Cuenca,
Hermana Harper
![]() |
| Oh ya we also ate chusos on New Year's Eve. chussssssoooooo. haha |
![]() |
| We Hermanas, in by 6 pm, eating cake on New Year's Eve |
Hermana Harper









No comments:
Post a Comment