Monday, July 7, 2014

XIMENA has TRULY BEEN a TENDER MERCY for me from THE LORD...

Hey Everyone,

I would like to first and foremost start out by saying thanks to all that wrote me nice letters of love, advice, and consolation this week. Mom, Dad, Riley, Grandma, Shelley, Uncle Gary and Bishop Baker (not used to that) especially. You all made me cry, but in a good way. I feel so incredibly blessed and loved. I seriously don't know how I got so lucky to have so many amazing people in my life. So thank you for the kind encouraging and loving words in my time of need :) You all rock. 

Well this week was a little better as we actually have a progressing investigator, so we had someone to teach. Her name is Ximena Mendoza and she's 20 years old. She actually attended church last week, just showed up by herself. I didn't mention her at all because we were under the impression that she lived in a different sector, but it turns out that she lives in ours! And let me just tell you, this girl is awesome. She seriously was a tender mercy from the Lord. So this is her story: she seriously dated an inactive member for about a year (they've been broken up for a few months now). He wasn't a very good example as he was inactive but during that year she did go to church with him and his family once as his family is active still. So she was going through a really hard time a couple weeks ago just feeling really sad and lonely and depressed and remembered that one time she went to church with this old boyfriend. Here in Guayaquil there are quite a few mormon church buildings. 

So one night during the week she decides to go (not realizing we only meet Sundays) but luckily it was open as an institute class had just ended and there were still a couple people in the parking lot. So she goes up to a man there and asks for his help. He said of course, how can i help you? She started to cry and explain to him that she feels lost and doesn't know what to do. So he shares with her his testimony of the gospel and the atonement and invites her to start attending the institute classes, which she did a few times. They gifted her a scripture set, answered her questions, and gave her the direction to the capilla where she lived, which is our capilla! And throughout all of this, we are somehow the first missionaries she has ever talked to. 

She has really opened up with us, sharing with us her desire to repent and be baptized. I didn't even really have to invite her to be baptized, she pretty much did herself! haha. Ok well I did, but she already wanted to. It was just having to put the date. The 18th is when it's gonna happen! And here's the coolest part: On Sunday she bore her testimony!!! She said that she knows the church is true and that it's Christ's church. Afterwards, all the members that bore their testimonies talked about how awesome of an example it was that she bore her testimony even though she's not even a baptized member still, etc. And everyone talked to her afterwards, the YSA kids invited her to an activity and it was just so great. Oh, and then after in gospel principles class something was mentioned about the spirit world and she turns to me and goes that's in the plan of salvation! And since we still haven't taught her that lesson yet, I was like ya, you're right, but how do you know that? I learned it in an institute class she responded. Wow. She's basically already a member, probably one of the most smartest, prepared investigators that I have ever met. Like i said, Ximena has truly been a tender mercy for me from the Lord, and I'm so thankful to have the opportunity to help her develop her faith, repent and come unto Christ! So great.

So I have a new companion! She got here on Wednesday? Her name is Hna Rayo from Nicaragua. She's a recent convert, got baptized 2 years ago. She's definitely a special person. She has very sweet childlike mannerisms, especially in social situations with members and investigators and other missionaries and what not. Lots of awkward moments. It's hard to explain, but other than that she's really nice and sweet so we've been getting along.

No progression, only continued digression in the skin department, but definitely progression in the encouragement department. I feel a little better this week. My current zone leaders are actually 2 nice and humble elders for the most part...at least from what I've seen thus far so hopefully it'll stay that way :) We had consejo de lideres today and so while I did have to do endure a 2.5 number sesh from the assistants, I also got to have a 3 hour spiritual uplift sesh from president. He talked a lot about asking inspired questions when teaching and then listening. and THEN teaching according to their needs. A lot of the times in this mission we just teach the doctrine of baptism to try and put a baptismal date, cause that's what the leaders want us to do, to improve our program, so it was nice to be told to instead of doing that, to listen to the spirit and be inspired first when teaching :) 

All right, I think that's all I got this week. Thanks again for all your prayers and love :) and HAPPY 74TH BIRTHDAY TO MY PAPA!!! Love ya mean old man. Can't wait to see you in person to give you a charlie brown :) Thanks for always being such a great grandfather and friend in my life. I love you so much! until next time.....



Amurrrriiicaaa!! Celebrating the 4th of July the best I could. God bless the land of the free and home of the brave! :) I love my country! Mi compa, Hna Rayo :)
My comp randomly takes pics all the time but works for me! Eating lunch with the Guzman fam 

Consejo today. My good friend Hna YnoƱan. We lived together in Naranjal! She's from Lima, Peru. Say hi to her fam for her iz! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment