Hello Familyyyy!!
(explanation of photo: So this photo is one that every one in the ward wants a copy of. It's the traditional outfit of a cholita. which is a traditional Cuencana woman who lives in the mountains. el campo. We were at a store that sells stuff like that cause my comp and I wanted to buy polleros, which are these skirts. But they are dang expensive, like eighty bucks. But anyways, it's funny cause it's a cholita gringita says todo.)
Well this week was a good one to be sure. It started Monday night after writing. We had a FHE slash Birthday party at a member house. The familia Pulla. We shared a message, played ¨que pasaria¨ aka ¨what if¨and then they sang Happy Birthday. I blew the candles out on the postre and they smashed my face in the cake! haha. But it was really fun and sweet of them. See pics.
And then Tuesday morning, Bday day, I woke up to the Hnas singing the Beatles Birthday song outside my door and when I opened it up, they threw balloons at me! haha. That's when I found out that Hna Nazer and Hna Ayer had written you Mom! Ok the sad part....Hna Ayer had transfers Monday night so wasn't there for all the Birthday festivities she helped plan with Hna Nazer.... :( so that stunk but it was still a good time. Hna Nazer showed me the email you sent. Looks like you got a little carried away talking about me ;) hehe, but I loved it. It was so nice to read those nice things you said about me Mom, especially since I didn't have my package. Still don't have it by the way. Hna Nazer thinks they are holding back our mail because our zone numbers are low. The office in my mish really is a piece of work, but Hna Nazer is in Guayaquil today so I'm hoping she'll be back tomorrow with my package! We shall see.
Anyways then she made me crepes for breakfast, and after studying we had a zone meeting. A typical 3 hour long meeting. But then after the meeting, she surprised me with a CHEESECAKE! It was awesome. I can't believe she was able to pull that off in Ecuador with limited supplies, impressive. She even borrowed a mini oven from a member in her ward and secretly baked it in her study room. So the zone sang Happy Birthday to me and we all ate cake. Then we went back to the house for lunch cause we had all canceled with our mammitas for the day and she surprised me AGAIN with all the fixings for paninis and a spinach walnut salad. SALAD!!!!!! (We aren't allowed to eat lettuce but she washed the spinach with hot water so all was well.) She even made your dressing Mom! and all this was a feat as she kinda had to wing it as far as ingredients go since we are in Ecuador. And they had decorated the hosue with streamers and a Happy Bday banner and she even decorated my desk area with cut out hearts that all had something nice about me written on them. BASICALLY SHE IS THE SWEETEST PERSON EVER!!!!! Seriously, let's just say between her and the members, I felt way more loved turning 21 in Ecuador than I did turning 20 in Provo. So thanks to Hna Nazer, my bday was awesome. I'll pass on the hug from you to her Mom, don't you worry :) ps - She told me to tell you that she loves you and can't wait to meet you :) haha
Alright, on to other experiences of the week. We have this one investigator named L. she lives far away and doesn't want to go to church so we don't visit her that much. But the other day, we decided to visit her and she told us that she found out her husband is cheating on her AGAIN, apparently like the 5th time and she almost committed suicide, but decided not to for her 6 year old son. It was so heart wrenching and we were able to testify to her of the power of the atonement and that thanks to Christ, we don't have to go through our sorrows and sufferings alone, but that we can turn to him cause he understands exactly what we feel as he has experienced the exact same thing. We talked about this theme for quite a while and she said she felt better and that she was gonna go to church on Sunday...but then she didn't. She told us it was because her family told her not to and she didn't want to upset them. Not sure if it's truth or lie, but either way, she's just scared. It's always the people who you can see visibly how the gospel will change their lives for the better that don't have the courage to reach out and accept it. But that's why we are here, to tell them that all they need to do is act on their faith and let the gospel change them. However, even when we do all that we can, the people still have their free agency. So we shall see how it goes with her.
Another funny story....we were walking on the street a little after 8, almost time to head home, when a guy crossed our path, but after passing us turns around and says, hey, do you have a book I can have? I start to approach him and be like ya, of course! when my comp starts saying no, we're really sorry but we don't.....and I was like what are you talking about? We have loads of books in our bags here to hand out to people and you're telling someone who's asking no? Turns out she heard wrong and thought he was asking for money....funny that the gringa heard correctly…haha. So I give him the restoration phamplet, we talk for a few min, get his info, and he said he would go to church the next day. Well he didn't show up. In fact, nobody showed up this week. But that's ok. We aren't getting discouraged, and we are just gonna work even harder this coming week. This guy on the street is named Alberto and tomorrow we plan on finding him so we can teach him a proper lesson. I'm stoked :)
Well, I think that's all I got for this week. This week I was definitely reminded of how incredibly blessed I am. Whenever I feel down, I alwasy count my blessings and become truly humbled by how much the Lord has given me, and then reflect on the phrase, "where much is given, much is recquired.¨ ¨Because I have been given much, I too must give.¨ and that's what I'm doing now. Serving the Lord to try and repay him the best I can for all that he has given me. Which is impossible, since I could serve a misison for my whole life and still never repay the debt. So I'm just here doing the best I can to be the best I can and to bring people unto Christ. It's hard work, but it's awesome work. Thanks for all of the inspiring thoughts and stories fam, and for updating me on your lives!! until next week....
Love from Cuenca,
Hermana Harper
ps - so my comp and I really wanted to buy polleros, the traditional Cuencana woman skirts, but they are really expensive so we settled for others that were cheaper and like a different kind than what they wear in a different part of Ecuador or something? Anyways, it was a bday gift to myself and on my bday we both wore them. Got lots of funny looks and comments; it was a good conversation starter. :) and all the members just laughed and loved it. see pics!
 |
| A pic with the classic cholita braids as well. |
 |
| Me and my cholita mannequin amiga. |
 |
| Hermana Brenes and I rocking our traditional Ecuadorian birthday skirts! haha |
 |
| More Birthday Surprises! |
 |
| Me and Hermana Nazer. She is basically the sweetest person ever! Thanks for the awesome Birthday!!!!! |
 |
| The cheesecake Hna Nazer made and Hna Brenes trying to put the cake in my face again. haha |
She is adorable!!!! I love all the pics!!!
ReplyDelete